Thursday, January 22, 2009

Thought: An award


Ralph Neckman of the delightfully whimsical book-in-a-blog, has given me the Premia Dardos Award, which evidently is given is for the appreciation of merits - culturally, literary and individually - of every blogger who expresses him/herself on his/her blog.

I am honored to have Ralph in particular think enough to add me to his list, because his blog really is one of the exceptional reads I enjoy on a regular basis. One of these days the adventures and thoughtfulness of his family of entertaining giraffes will end up on the best seller list, a-la-J. K. Rawling. Yes, the world he creates on his blog is that good of a read.

There are some rules attached to this award, and basically they are....

1. be tickled pink ;)

2. copy and paste the award picture to your blog;

3. write down the regulations;

4. link the blog who bestowed you the Award;

5. and finally nominate 15 blogs for the Award.

I have a little problem with the last one. Too chain letterish for me, but the rules also say you don't have to nominate any, so I will lay low and think on it before passing the award on. There are so many good writers and artists and photographers out there sharing their work and hearts on the web. One of my favorite things to do is visit bloggers I have come to know and respect, and then follow their favorite links to another, and from there to another, reading all over the world.

I have a few of these awards at this point, and at times I have thought about doing what others do and putting them on the sidebar somewhere, but so far I haven't done it. I don't want to seem like I don't appreciate these things. I do, but what I appreciate about them is this: I have noticed that without exception, the people who pass them on to me are people whose writing or expression I really admire, like Ralph Neckman. And who doesn't appreciate a compliment from your peers?

So for now, tack down Ralph's list of people he's passed the award on to - there are some really good writers on that list. I am in good company, it seems!

Tom


No comments: