Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Prisonor's Delimma

 I was having lunch with one of my clients, the CEO of a rapidly growing mid-size company, when I casually asked for his job description.

He smiled and said, “Well, if you followed me around you’d probably think I do lots of things. But I only have one job. I build passion. Most people think talent is in short supply. Hell, the papers are full of stories about regular folks working miracles when something they really care about is on the line. Talent is not in short supply. Passion is. My job is showing people that what we’re doing is worth doing. I provide the whys so our people can provide the hows. Once passion is in place,” he said with a big grin, “my job becomes insisting that people use their vacation and trying to stay out of the way.”

This is the start of an article in Forbes magazine. Lest you think it is a typical rah-rah approach, let me tell you that from here he goes on to tell us why prisoners are so creative in their attempts to get free, and how we can apply it. Good, and I mean GOOD, reading.

Here's the link to the article.

Tom

No comments: