Friday, October 3, 2008

Poem: Three Beautiful Things


Three Beautiful Things

The heat came on for the first time
this morning. I woke
to the sound of water trickling
through the radiators,
and lay under my quilt,
grateful for the warmth.

Midday today, in a strange town,
I had North Carolina barbeque,
a taste of childhood.
I grinned all through lunch.

As I pulled in my driveway,
two yellow leaves
lay on the hood of my old red Trooper,
the first fallen leaves of autumn.

======================

I wrote this poem as a result of reading in The Three Beautiful Things blog this morning, something I do several times a week. Each day, the author of that blog lists three beautiful things in her life.

The picture was taken where the Appalachian Trail crosses near Raphine, Virginia. You can click on it for a larger version.

Tom

No comments: