Friday, August 5, 2011

Poem: The Plunge


The Plunge

It's a mess,
this mind of yours,
a jumble of fear and exhilaration,
of ideas so plentiful
you are paralyzed, ideas

so audacious
you wonder at your sanity,
afraid you will emerge the village fool, and yet

you can see it,
clear as a vision,
choirs singing glorious harmonies
like the sirens of Odysseus,
leaving you to strain at the ropes that bind you,
ready to plunge into life

ready to be the fool
if it means you rise from the sea
more loved, more who you are
than you are today.

=============================

There is a small brass bookmark on my desk, directly in front of where I work and write each day, that has a quote by George Eliot. It reads "It is never too late to become what you might have been."  I have lived that quote. It is not without risk to reach for your dreams, even when it means taking steps that seem to lead backwards, or seem a bit mad to others. But, the reward, ahhh, ah, the reward!

The picture was taken at Carowinds, on a band trip with my son last spring. You can click on it for a larger version.

Tom

PS: I am trying something new. Rona, the woman I love, has long suggested that people might like some of my poems, with the images to frame or even to buy already framed. To test that theory, I am going to create the next few of them in a PDF. I haven't figured out how to make them instantly downloadable yet, but if you'd like a copy (see below to see what it looks like), drop me an e-mail and I will send it to you.

No comments: