Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Poem: Newport Beach

Newport Beach

It is cold, and the beaches are empty,
yours, the only soul standing, seeing
the primeval beauty still, sparkling,
still before the coming storm,

a lonely beauty shimmering
with each rising breaker.
And yes, the water is frigid,
leaving a sheen of ice on the rock,

yet you are warm, knowing
that it is in such moments,
alone and quiet,
that God speaks,

and so you stand,
and listen,
and listen.

=============

The pictures were taken Sunday, on the beaches of Newport, Rhode Island. I grew up in the south, where our beaches were broad, sandy, flat and except in storms... quiet. This was my first trip to the New England shore, with it's rocky coastline and water that breaks and dances constantly in the light. There is a life to the water there that I fell instantly in love with, so I will be making the drive again, you can be sure. You can click on the images for a larger version.

Tom

3 comments:

gingerhillery@mac.com said...

One of my favorite places in the whole wide world is Marblehead, Mass. in the winter. Standing on the rocks, watching the frigid water smash and hurl is one of my favorite ways to hear God. Thanks for reminding me.

Lyn said...

Rocky beaches or sandy beaches, as long as I can stand facing the water..we always must..liked the poem, the photos..I do know that shore, but in the summerime..
Now I'm in the mood to walk along the edge of the sea...

Merisi said...

Beautiful poem about a wondrous place!

I can imagine how one can fall in love with the seascape there!