Monday, January 4, 2010

Quote of the Week: Creativity


"The creative is the place where no one else has ever been. You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition. What you'll discover will be wonderful. What you'll discover is yourself." - Alan Alda.

Years ago, when I was in college, I used to put a "quote of the week" taped to my dorm room door. Years later, after the advent of e-mail, I began to put a quote of the week at the end of my e-mails, something I do to this day. I used to post these on my blog, and got away from it, but at times, people write me for this or that quote, (which inevitably I have trouble finding) so I decided, with the new year, to begin again. You will be able to reference the quotes by visiting the "quotes" label on the right column of the blog.

The picture was taken in Rupert, VT about a week ago, before we got the extra 18 inches of snow that hit this weekend. You can click on it for a larger version.

3 comments:

FireLight said...

Alan Alda is a classic, isn't he!
People often tell the Colonel that he looks like him. (Must be the military fatigues!) I have just been to a semi-wilderness, and all I want to do is read or write.
I do love daily quotes...food for thought is always health food!

Ann Parks said...

As a quilter, I love this quote on creativity. I have a difficult time with those who criticize someone else's work of creativity, especially if it involves handwork, though I suppose I am guilty of this when it comes to the written word. Someone who has put their heart and soul into a quilt, a piece of needlework, a crocheted or knitted item needs to hear, at the very least, "I appreciate the amount of time and energy it took for you to make [whatever the item is]. Trashing the person's choice of color or of technique, especially in the the person's presence, is not encouraging the person to explore the creative side. I'm sure the same could be said of the written word or of movies.

Anonymous said...

I love this photo! I look forward to visiting your blog many time in the coming new year!! Have a wonderful and blessed 2010!